Tzatziki sauce goes great with joojeh and koobideh. You might know it as “gyro sauce”.
- 8 oz. container plain Greek yoghurt. You could use regular yoghurt but you’ll have to put it in cheesecloth or a coffee filter and let it drain a couple hours to remove some of the water. Else wise, the sauce will be too runny.
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled & seeded. Then grate. Take the grated cukes, put them in a paper towel and squeeze/wring out all the water you can.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of your very best extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1-1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 large clove of garlic, grated or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Mix all together. Let sit for an hour. Taste. Adjust for salt, sugar and lemon juice as necessary. If you do adjust, you need to let it sit for another half or full hour for the salt or sugar to dissolve before tasting again. No smart-ass comments about salt ionizing and not dissolving–you know what I mean… 😀