- 8-10 small red potatoes (or another waxy potato like Yukon Gold–do not use russets, “baking potatoes”!)
- 4-6 hard boiled eggs, mashed (Mom says 6, I usually use 4)
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped. Make sure it’s a sweet tasting carrot or use less
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (or so) each of sweet pickle and dill pickle, finely chopped. Could use sweet relish for the sweet pickle
- 1 teaspoon each of sweet pickle and dill pickle juice
- 1 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Salt, start with a teaspoon
Boil the potatoes whole in salted water until just fork tender. Don’t over cook them or they will get mushy. Cool and remove skins. Chop cook potato into the size you want the chunks to be for your salad–see picture for the size Mom does hers.
In a different bowl, mash the eggs and add all the ingredients (except the potatoes) and mix thoroughly. Taste. It should be tangy and a little bit salty. If not tangy enough, add more pickle juice. Adjust salt as well. Next, gently fold the potatoes into the egg/dressing mixture. Refrigerate at least three hours before serving–over night is even better.