This recipe was inspired by ผักโขมอบชีส (spinach baked with cheese) at 13 Coins Restaurants in Bangkok, Thailand, a favorite local restaurant that straddled the line between a Thai restaurant and an American one. We used to order the baked spinach every time we ate there. The last time I saw Nan Jibson, she asked if I knew how to make this dish. I told her I did and that I would post the recipe soon. It only took 5 months. 🙂
- 2 packages Bird’s Eye Steamfresh Lightly Sauced Creamed Spinach, 11 oz (or equivalent amount of another creamed spinach product be it purchased or home-made)
- Fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced. (Can use grated or other types of mozzarella, but fresh is really nice in this one)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/16 to 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg. If you only have ground nutmeg, throw it in the trash can and omit the ingredient. 😀
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Spaghetti/tomato sauce, whatever kind you like, shouldn’t be too chunky though
Microwave the spinach packets as directed but don’t cook them the full time. Make sure the spinach is just hot. Probably shave 30 seconds to 1 minute off the cooking time of one bag. Then pour the spinach into a large sieve and allow to drain for 10 minutes or it looks like it’s not going to give up any more liquid.
You may notice in these pictures, I am only making one packet of spinach. I used the other side of my baking dish to roast an Italian sausage at the same times as the spinach. Why not? 🙂
Transfer the spinach to a baking dish. Mix in 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and black pepper then smooth/level out. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese on top. Add a layer of tomato sauce. Cover with the slices of mozzarella and bake in a 400 degree oven until hot and bubbly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.