George started with Teasphere.WordPress.Com’s recipe and changed it. Below is George’s version. The original can be found right here. Thanks to Dominic @ teasphere.wordpress.com for getting the whole thing started!
- 2 cans red kidney beans (George recommends Goya small red beans–see picture)
- 1+1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (George says use 4)
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of powdered red hot pepper
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- Half a green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
Put the butter, onion, celery and green pepper into a pot and saute until soft. Add the rest of the ingredients. Eight to ten minutes after it comes to a boil, mash most of the beans to get the right consistency. Cook an additional 30 minutes until thicken.
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1tsp garlic salt
Cook the rice as you normally would but with butter and garlic. If you have an electric rice cooker, you can just chuck it all in and turn it on.